Thursday, November 18, 2010

What In The World Is An X-Win?


So Felix Hernandez won the AL Cy Young Award earlier today even though the guy went 13-12.  How can you go 13-12 and win the Cy Young?  I mean, I understand he plays for the worst team in baseball, and there's not offense to speak of.  But really? Cy Young Award?  The guy may have had some of the best stats in baseball, but i don't understand how he could win so decisively.  I mean, I read and saw that the baseball writers used something called x-wins to make their decisions.  I suppose statisticians use these to determine how many wins a pitcher should have had based on ERA and IP, bu come on, how can that be determined?  Also, I would like to point out that Zack Greinke won the title last year and he played for the Royals.  Did you hear me?  The Royals!!  The worst team in the MLB for the past few years!  But he still went 16-8, had a 2.16 ERA and 242 strikeouts.  So the excuse that his team has no offense and so we should go by x-wins is not right.  How about x-strikeouts, and x-era?  What's next? Making up new stats?  I agree that Hernandez is a great pitcher.  But a Cy Young winner should be able to over come a bad offense and get wins anyway?  I mean, a .500 pitcher?  Really?  I just have a real problem with these x-wins.  How can you make that up like that?  It just doesn't seem right to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment